Creating Successful Tree Swallow Nest Box Projects:
- So, you think you might want to create a Tree Swallow nest box project? The
pages listed at left will take you through the process, step by step.
- Naturally, to succeed you'll need to know something about Tree Swallows,
especially their basic habitat and nesting requirements. But there's more.
- You'll have to find a suitable project site and get permission to use it.
- You'll have to build or buy boxes designed for Tree Swallows and locate them
where your swallows won't face competition from other birds.
- Your boxes must be mounted securely and protected from predators.
- Make no mistake, there's both thought and work involved.
- But don't be intimidated. This isn't rocket science. You can do it!
- However, you must understand that when you create a Tree Swallow nest box
project you are enticing wild birds to nest in structures you provide in locations
you have chosen. This makes you at least partially responsibility for the
survival of the adult birds you attract and the young they try to raise.
- You have an obligation to do it right, to minimize risks and maximize benefits for
the swallows that accept your boxes. Their welfare must always come first.
- In-box camera photo below from Francois Paquette of Quebec.
- Bottom line: If you do decide to create a Tree Swallow nest box project, take
your responsibilities seriously. You must plan carefully, and execute and
manage your project correctly.
- If you can't make this commitment, stop right here! If you aren't willing to do it
right, please don't do it at all.
- But, if you do commit and execute with care, your project should succeed, and
your swallows will repay you many times over with the pleasure, satisfaction, and
learning you receive.
Click here for Next Step: Tree Swallow Characteristics and
Learn About Birds at Tree Swallow Nest Box Projects
Tree Swallow Nest Box Projects
|Creating Projects, Tree Swallow Basics, Finding a Good Site, Building Boxes,
Box Location, Pole Options, Mounting Boxes, Nest Box Grids, Predator Protection,
Bluebird Competition, Martin Competition, House Wren Damage, House Sparrow Damage